Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Cowboys or Farmers?


What's the difference?


I was raised on a dairy farm, but my parents also raised beef cattle, so I guess Daddy was a farmer AND a rancher.

Most people think of farmers as those who grow crops, run a dairy, or grow pigs, sheep, chickens, etc.

On the other hand, a cowboy is the guy who raises beef cattle. Well, technically, the cowboy is the hired guy who rides the range. The owner would be a rancher, I guess.

In this day and age, a cowboy might ride a 4-wheeler or use a helicopter to herd cattle just as much -- if not more than -- a horse.

BUT, the romantic in me says he still needs the horse! lol

Chicken farmer
Pig farmer
Sheep farmer (herder?)
Cowboy and/or Rancher

Weird, huh?

Mix it up. It's okay to have a "farm" and call it a "ranch". Dh and I raise beef cattle. He herds cattle with 4-wheelers, hauls them to the stockyard in a cattle trailer, and feeds large round bales of hay with a tractor.

But he rides horses for fun, and looks real hunky in a cowboy hat.

So, give your dairy farmer a horse, a swagger, a cowboy hat, and a drawl, a herd of beef cattle, and somebody to run the dairy side of things, and he's a COWBOY. But even he could milk the cows if push came to shove.

Why, when I was 10, the whole family went on a day-long fishing trip and I didn't want to go. I wanted to stay home and read. A whole day by myself with nothing to do but read.

Ah. Bliss!

3:30 arrived and they weren't home, and it was milking time. I had 100 dairy cows penned, the machines up and running and was putting the milker on the first cow when they got there.

Mama and Daddy were so proud.

No comments: